Thursday, May 2, 2013

Mint Juleps

The Kentucky Derby is 2 days away & That means it is time for Mint Juleps!






I am Southern
I love Bourbon
I grow mint
I LOVE everything about the Kentucky Derby and I love a good cocktail....

The Mint Julep --essentially Bourbon over ice with a little muddled mint & sugar is not for everyone, I love it, but it is too "hard core" for most, particularly if Bourbon is not their poison.

So, I have adapted a recipe that not only appeals to a broader range of tastes,  but allows you to make the juleps in batches for your friends.

The recipe is simple, but requires some preparation.

1. Make Mint Simple Syrup. Boil equal parts sugar & water until sugar dissolves and liquid is clear. Turn off heat, throw in a bunch of mint and let sit for 15 min. Discard the mint, let syrup come to room temperature. Once it has cooled,strain the syrup into a bottle and refrigerate for at least several hours up to a week.

2. Get out your juicer because this is KEY. Juice fresh lemon juice beforehand, I freeze it when lemons are juicy and I have the time to juice.

3. Buy your favorite bourbon/whiskey, a smoother version works the best

4. Crush ice into large zip lock bags and freeze.

pinch tiny tops off mint plant, wash and have ready before your peeps arrive.

In 2 separate Pitchers:

Mint Julep (Sweeter Version)

1 part Bourbon
1 part fresh lemon juice
2 parts mint simple syrup

Mint Julep (A mouth-puckering, Less Sweet Version)
(my favorite)

1 part Bourbon
2 part fresh lemon juice
1 parts mint simple syrup

Friends come over, you fill mint julep cups with crushed ice, pour the preapred
juleps and top with mint top. Now you just need to buy your fancy hat and call your bookie. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Pinterest