Wednesday, May 28, 2014

The Belmont Stakes ~ The Belmont Breeze


The Belmont Breeze

(makes 2 drinks)


4 1/2 oz Bourbon (I used Bulleit)

7 oz Lemonade

4 oz Pomegranate Juice


add all ingredients to a shaker full of ice and pour into low-ball glasses on the rocks, garnish with lemon slice. 

The Belmont is the 3rd race in the Triple Crown of horse racing. This last stop of the triple crown is the longest race, 1 1/2 miles, and is the oldest of the races, this year being the 146th running. It is held in Elkmont, NY on the 1st Saturday in June, so drink up Johnnie!  

Thinking back to the late 90's, it still smarts a bit when I think of my friend Tracey Taylor, who lived in Manhattan at the time, calling me one day, while I was living in Philly, telling me to get a big hat. She reported that she had tickets to the Belmont, to which I politely, and embarrassingly enough, declined in favor of relaxing on my weekend off. WTF is all I have to say to that misguided 30-something year old girl!  It was an important lesson however, because I often summons this particular event regret as a personal cautionary tale, to never turn down experiential opportunities just because I am a touch tired.  DRINK A DOUBLE ESPRESSO ON THE ROCKS AND CARPE DIEM LYNNIE! 

There are 3 quasi-official cocktails of the Belmont, so I will, when I can actually bring myself to buy Harvey's Bristol cream, feature the other two in coming years.  The Belmont's official flower is the white carnation, which I also need to make peace with.  In years gone by, if a man brought me carnations as a floral declaration of interest or love, he was thoroughly and unceremoniuosly rebuffed in favor of the gentleman caller who drank Fernet Branca and brought me orchids.  I snobbishly digress....

Drink a Belmont Breeze June 7th, the day of the Belmont and root for California Chrome! 

CHEERS! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Pinterest